If you are the one who felt annoying when Outlook doesn’t mark messages as read as soon as you click and view it in Reading Pane then just follow the given steps as the solution is briefly explained below. Here we have listed out the way to make Microsoft Outlook mark messages as read as soon as they’re opened.
As you all know that with the default setting, Outlook will not mark a message as read until you select another message. It is quite annoying for many because if you read a message and then immediately delete the message, it shows up as an unread message in your Deleted Items folder. Just follow the listed steps and mark the messages as read.
For more information, kindly visit: Office.com/Setup
Follow these Steps and Mark the Outlook Messages as Read:-
- Go to the backstage screen, click on the “Options” in the list of items on the left.
- On the Options dialog box, click on the “Mail” in the list of items on the left.
- Now, in the Outlook panes section, you need to click the “Reading Pane” button.
- Now, just check the “Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane” box. It makes Outlook mark your messages as read when you view them in the Reading Pane.
- By default, Outlook will only mark a message read after you’ve been reading it for 5 seconds. You can even change this if needed. Now, enter 0 (zero) in the “Wait X seconds before marking item as read” box, Now, our messages would be marked as read as soon as we select them.
- Note that the “Mark item as read when selection changes” box is automatically unchecked if you check the “Mark items as read when you view it in the Reading Pane” box. Only those two checkboxes can be selected at once.
- Click “OK” to accept your changes and close the dialog box.
- After all this, you need to Click “OK” on the Options dialog box. Now your messages will be marked as read as soon as you select them in the reading pane, or soon after, depending on how many seconds you told Outlook to wait before marking the item as read.
- Outlook is a great email client, but like most programs, it has its quirks. This quick tip can help you get rid of one of Outlook’s annoying features, and make it work like you want it to. If you don’t wish to follow this method then you can also disable the Reading Pane if you don’t want messages automatically opened when you select them.
This is how you can mark the messages as read. If you still get the same issue, then you need to get in touch with the Outlook customer support as they can only help you to rid of this issue. To know more, dial Outlook customer support toll-free number and avail an instant service.